Assam cabinet approves joint venture with railways to boost network



Assam’s cabinet on Saturday approved the establishment of a joint venture between the state government and the Ministry of Railways to expand the state’s railway network, a minister said.

In Assam Rail Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (ARIDCL), the state government will hold a 51% share and the ministry the remaining 49%, Water Resources Minister and Government Spokesman Pijush Hazarika has said.

ARIDCL will ensure timely implementation of ongoing projects, in addition to working out possible funding avenues, he said.

The meeting, chaired by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, also discussed the issue of resolving the border dispute between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

The cabinet has also approved an additional amount of Rs. 126.75 crore for the implementation of relief scheme for former employees of Nagaon and Cachar paper mills of Hindustan Paper Corporation Limited (HPCL).

The Council of Ministers has also decided to allow Duliajan Numaligarh Pipeline Limited to undertake a salary review for its employees, Hazarika said.

The cabinet has given its approval to a unique scheme to reduce late payment of vehicle shaping fees as a Covid relief measure for the transport sector and owners can apply online within three months to benefit advantages.

He also approved the Assam Motor Vehicle Taxation (Amendment), 2022 for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and streamlining the existing tax regime by incorporating a “green tax” on older vehicles, Hazarika said.

The Council of Ministers has also approved the purchase of handloom items directly from indigenous weavers without involving intermediaries through a specially developed portal.

The Cabinet has decided to launch an “Arohan” program for grades nine to twelve from 2022 to 23 with an allocated budget of Rs 5.96 crore to guide talented students in the 13-18 age group.

He also approved the transfer process for teachers through a portal, Hazarika added.

(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Comments are closed.