Tor Browser 11 removes support for V2 Onion URL and adds new user interface
The Tor Project released Tor Browser 11.0 with a new user interface design and the removal of support for onion V2 services.
Tor Browser is a customized version of Firefox ESR that allows users to browse the web anonymously and access special .onion domains that can only be accessed through Tor.
You can download Tor Browser from Tor project site, and if you are an existing user, you can upgrade to the latest version by going to the Tor menu > To help > About Tor Browser.
What’s new in Tor 11
Tor Browser 11 uses Firefox ESR 91, which brings an updated user interface with new icons, a new toolbar, simplified menus, dialog boxes and an updated tab interface.
However, the most significant change is the deprecation of onion V2 services, which means TOR URLs using 16 character short hostname domains are no longer supported.
When attempting to open a V2 Onion service, Tor Browser will show users an “Invalid Onionsite Address” with an error code of 0xF6.
âLast year we announced that Onion v2 services would be obsolete by the end of 2021, and since his version 10.5 The Tor browser has been busy warning users who visit onion v2 sites about their upcoming retirement, âthe Tor Project explained in the. Tor Browser Release Notes 11.
âFinally, that day has finally arrived. As of the update to Tor 0.4.6.8 v2, onion services are no longer accessible in the Tor browser, and users will instead receive an “Invalid onion site address” error.
With this change, Tor sites using onion V2 services will no longer be accessible, but admins can upgrade to a V3 onion service by adding the following lines to the torrc to file.
HiddenServiceDir /full/path/to/your/hs/v3/directory/ HiddenServicePort :
As with all versions, there are still known issues and bugs that users should be aware of.
The known issues in Tor 11 are listed below:
- Bug 40668: DocumentFreezer and file schema
- Bug 40671: fonts are not displayed
- Bug 40679: Missing features on first launch in esr91 on MacOS
- Bug 40689: Change the HTTP method of the Blockchair Search provider
- Bug 40667: AV1 videos show up as corrupt files in Windows 8.1
- Bug 40677: Since the update to 11.0a9 some addons are inactive and require deactivation-reactivation at each start
- Bug 40666: Changing svg.disable affects NoScript settings
- Bug 40690: Browser chrome stops when incognito mode is turned off